Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Celebrating spring with a cheery quilted umbrella cushion

It looks like spring is taking a very long time to reach this year, at least the place I live. I'm truly wishing for rain and idea making an umbrella themed cushion for the season may be simply the issue to share this week! April showers do eventually arrive and it's fun to make seasonally themed decor. I used the PFAFF quilt expression 720 to help me sew up this brilliant quilted cushion.

April 22 is Earth Day after we take time to show ourselves and lift focus about environmental issues. after I consider about a way to in the reduction of, reuse, and recycle, when it involves quilting, I suppose about using my stash and scraps. For the reverse facet of the umbrella cushion, I went via my stash of small scraps to make 4 patches and set them with greater squares.

cutting requirements for Umbrella Block

Umbrella fabrictwo 5″ squaresfour four½″ squaressix 2½″ squares

historical past fabricone eight½″ squaretwo 5″ squarestwo four½″ squares

Accent squares – six 2½″ squares

you will additionally needrick rack – approximately 11″ long and ½″ large

eight½″ rectangular of stabilizer for attaching the rick rack

two fats quarters for backing the quilt panelstwo 16½″ squares of battingzipper – I used 18″ and reduce to dimension

I do all of my piecing on the PFAFF quilt expression 720 with the straight stitch plate connected. I chose to make use of the ¼″ quilting foot for my piecing, however I could have also used the regular typical foot (OA) that also comes with the computer.

The umbrella block is made of a couple of several types of contraptions, all of which might be handy to make. the primary ones are the 4 patches: you could make a rainbow like I did or with no trouble use one fabric and alternate it with the umbrella textile.

Sew the appropriate edge of one accent rectangular to the left fringe of one umbrella cloth square; press the seam to the umbrella cloth.

next sew the left edge of an umbrella rectangular to the right facet of a second accent textile rectangular, urgent the seam to the umbrella material.

Sew both sets together so that the accent fabrics are diagonally contrary to each other. Press the seam to the bottom unit.

Repeat to make a total of two greater 4 patch contraptions.

  • Draw one diagonal line on the back of each background 5″ rectangular.
  • With right sides together, sew one background material 5″ square to one umbrella textile 5″ rectangular by using sewing ¼" faraway from either side of the drawn line.
  • cut on the drawn line to create 2 HSTs; press the seams to the umbrella cloth.
  • Trim each and every HST to four½" square. *You will have one leftover.
  • layout the HST units with the leisure of the items as shown in the image under. note the large eight½″ square isn't added yet.
  • I get pleasure from including rick rack as embellishment and in this case, I determined to use ric rac for the umbrella address. if you don't have any available you could make bias strips or try some ribbon or embroider stitches.

    Pin the rick rack in vicinity making certain it extends past the edge of the cloth. You may use textile glue (embroidery glue) to tack it in place as smartly.

    Then I used an ornamental stitch on the PFAFF quilt expression 720 to attach the rick rack. I used a sew that turned into near extending beyond the interior curves of the rick rack to be certain it would be at ease and less more likely to curl. The stitch also required the use of a stabilizer underneath the textile, which will also be see layered underneath my fabric beneath.

    With the deal with attached to the heritage square, the entire gadgets are ready to collect into the umbrella block. Come back day after today to collect and quilt the umbrella block the usage of the PFAFF quilt expression 720.

    here is part 1 of 5 during this sequence.

    i like to play with color and *quilts* are my playground! A self-taught quilter, i've been designing quilts for practically twenty years. i'm inspired through happy fabric, selvages, ordinary blocks and nature. i am also a wife, mother, and fundamental college instructor, and luxuriate in consuming espresso on my entrance porch in northern Ontario.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment